I might have messed up my stout
  • jlwjlw
    I chilled the beer down to about 75* and pitched the yeast. I hook up the temp controller and the fermwrap and put it in the fermentation room (bathroom). I go back a little later to check the temp and it shows 56* which is weird cause I know the temp is set for 70*. I double check and decide it must have gotten cold in the bathroom that doesn't have central heat. I decide to wrap a blanket around the beer to warm it up. I go back to check today and it's still 56*. Now I know something is up. Check the ferm wrap and it's warm. Then I look and see the probe sticking out from under the blanket. Not in the thermowell. Uh OH. FAIL. Stick the probe in and it is 90*.

Hope the temp will drop quick and I hope I don't get bad flavors off the high ferm temps.

The yeast is US 05
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    You may gets some esters, but those can be tasty sometimes. Just worry less... you did remember to add the milk, right?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Leave it in primary an extra week ... it'll be fine
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • scoobscoob
    Was it actively fermenting at that point? Or was it just getting going? At hat temp I would inmagine it's going like gangbusters.

Leave it on the yeast cake for a good while and a lot of the off flavors should mellow out, bottle it up and try one, if it sucks just stash it away and try one every 6 months, when its tasty, drink em up!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    Agree with the Dr. I should worry less. This beer will stay in primary 4 weeks. Then secondary until August. Then oak for two weeks. Then bottle age until Christmas 2013.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    you'll be fine wit s-05 at higher temps and longer age. i do all summer long. different story with some other yeasts...