There where tears of joy and tears of agony...
  • C_BC_B
    Well not really. But I did have two first brew days I guess. The first one was the very first beer I ever made and the second was the first AG brew. 
    The first was an American Cream Ale Brewer's Best kit. Of course with those kits they stress all the wrong parts of the process. Seriously, I sanitized my brew pot before I added water to it and put it on the stove. No joke. Beyond that, it all went pretty well, basically to the instructions. I was uber concerned about everything. In the end I made beer. Those kits aren't really designed to make great beer, just ok beer. The single biggest mistake on that first beer was I left it in the primary for only seven days. Now I don't touch the primary (except maybe a fast extract hefe) for at least four weeks. 
    The second first brew day was the first time I did all grain. It was a hefeweizen kit I got from Austin Home Brew (who I think is awesome and fully support). I didn't trust the strike water temp calculator so I mashed in too hot. Then I added too much ice and the mash was not hot enough (146) so I added some boiling water. Still too low. More boiling water. Still too low. More boiling water, better or at least acceptable. My temps and OGs were all over the board, I didn't know what I got out of it until it was all in the bucket. It was basically a complete cluster ****. BUT, it made ok beer. (50% eff, but who's counting)
    The bottom line for me is every batch is a learning experience. Even if it is a routine brewday, you can take something new away from it. For me, I am constantly trying to improve on my system and process. I try to take good notes so that I can go back and see what I did different (accidental or intentional). 
    I enjoy the hobby and I enjoy helping others with the hobby. I love the openness to share knowledge from each other's experience that homebrewer's seem to have. 
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants