Rapid fermentation
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I brewed a spotted cow clone, a cream ale. Used Wyeast 1056, American Ale yeast. It fermented and was done in three days. I brewed 7 days ago and Kegged today. Finished at 1.008. Any experience with 1056, or with such a rapid fermentation? I brewed this a few weeks ago, I don't recall it fermenting so fast. Taste is good, so I'm not concerned, just curious.
  • ThymThym
    Fast ferment with such a low final gravity indicates a bit of wild yeast to me.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i've had some ferment that fast. some in two days my logic has always been that sometimes conditions are just absolutely perfect when you pitch between temp and aeration, etc.... although sometimes mine has been way way too warm when brewing in the summertime, but that's not the cause for you right now.

when that happens though, it's not done. i still always let it sit in the fermenter for at least 3 weeks after pitching, no matter how long initial ferment took.
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah .... fast fermentation usually needs some time in primary to clean up off flavors from yeast ...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    The last time I brewed this, I fermented at 62F, this time 67. Tastes pretty much the same, a little more mouthfeel, it is a partial mash, and I think I got a little better utilization this time, tried a different method. Also first time with my stir plate. Took off fast, high kreusen in under 12 hours. It's not totally unheard of. I've drank the orange blossom Kolsh in 13 days from pitch. It was the only keg that was drained at Oktoberfest, so couldn't have been all bad.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    not unheard of at all. like i said, i have had them go start to finish in 2 days. i have taken lighter apa's (around 5%) from grain to glass in less than two weeks. that was when the pipeline was all screwed up though and the beer was perfectly good, but would have been even better if i had waited a little longer to drink it.