Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)


Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
HLT or Heat Stick?
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    This discussion was created from comments split.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    I should install my sight glass in my kettle.



    I don't understand why you need a sight glass in a brew kettle...

    Because sooner or later it'll be my HLT.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Oh
    Lakewood said:

    On the brew kettle it just seems superfluous.


    Yep. And it looks cool too.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Or maybe my MLT.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 101,453
    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    I should install my sight glass in my kettle.



    I don't understand why you need a sight glass in a brew kettle...

    Because sooner or later it'll be my MLT.


    Ah. That make more sense.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    I figure in the short term I'll go three vessel, 2+ tier. In which case I'll just swap out the dip tube and call it my HLT.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    I say 2+ because I don't really need a full on 3 tier since I have a pump. But I'll have to be able to do at least one drain with gravity...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 101,453
    C_dubbs said:

    I say 2+ because I don't really need a full on 3 tier since I have a pump. But I'll have to be able to do at least one drain with gravity...



    Why?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    I say 2+ because I don't really need a full on 3 tier since I have a pump. But I'll have to be able to do at least one drain with gravity...



    Why?

    Urrybody is doing it? Not really a requirement. I could easily do a single tier with one pump.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    I need another burner though... Or maybe an electric HLT? I wonder what kind of power that takes....
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    C_dubbs said:

    I need another burner though... Or maybe an electric HLT? I wonder what kind of power that takes....


    I don't know. I want it cheap (free) and done right now. Like already here and ready to brew. Like right now.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 101,453
    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    I say 2+ because I don't really need a full on 3 tier since I have a pump. But I'll have to be able to do at least one drain with gravity...



    Why?

    Urrybody is doing it? Not really a requirement. I could easily do a single tier with one pump.


    Just seems more complicated than necesarry.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Could I wire a water heater element up to a switch and hang it or something (avoid drilling a hole until I know that's what I want) in the HLT? Get it hot enough and shut it off. No need for automation just yet.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    I say 2+ because I don't really need a full on 3 tier since I have a pump. But I'll have to be able to do at least one drain with gravity...


    Why?

    Urrybody is doing it? Not really a requirement. I could easily do a single tier with one pump.

    Just seems more complicated than necesarry.

    Yep. Originally I was thinking the HLT would just be a cooler with no heating element. I read somewhere cooler MLTs can only be used in multi-tier systems.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 101,453
    C_dubbs said:

    Could I wire a water heater element up to a switch and hang it or something (avoid drilling a hole until I know that's what I want) in the HLT? Get it hot enough and shut it off. No need for automation just yet.



    Make a "heat stick" it like that only on a handle with the wires going through the handle so you don't die.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    I say 2+ because I don't really need a full on 3 tier since I have a pump. But I'll have to be able to do at least one drain with gravity...


    Why?

    Urrybody is doing it? Not really a requirement. I could easily do a single tier with one pump.

    Just seems more complicated than necesarry.

    Yep. Originally I was thinking the HLT would just be a cooler with no heating element. I read somewhere cooler MLTs can only be used in multi-tier systems.

    Yes I'm being facetious.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Could I wire a water heater element up to a switch and hang it or something (avoid drilling a hole until I know that's what I want) in the HLT? Get it hot enough and shut it off. No need for automation just yet.



    Make a "heat stick" it like that only on a handle with the wires going through the handle so you don't die.

    I've read about that somewhere. Not dying is fun. Can the element just lay on the bottom of the keggle?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Better question, how much juice do I need to heat 6+ gallons of water to 175*? I would rather do the whole batch at once, but I could easily heat the sparge water while the mash is going.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Now that I think about it.... Heating the sparge water separate makes more sense. Why heat all that water at once and then have to maintain during the entire mash? Seems wasteful of energy.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 101,453
    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Could I wire a water heater element up to a switch and hang it or something (avoid drilling a hole until I know that's what I want) in the HLT? Get it hot enough and shut it off. No need for automation just yet.



    Make a "heat stick" it like that only on a handle with the wires going through the handle so you don't die.

    I've read about that somewhere. Not dying is fun. Can the element just lay on the bottom of the keggle?


    Its better if you suspend it a bit so its not touching. Otherwise you will get a hot spot.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Could I wire a water heater element up to a switch and hang it or something (avoid drilling a hole until I know that's what I want) in the HLT? Get it hot enough and shut it off. No need for automation just yet.



    Make a "heat stick" it like that only on a handle with the wires going through the handle so you don't die.

    I've read about that somewhere. Not dying is fun. Can the element just lay on the bottom of the keggle?


    Its better if you suspend it a bit so its not touching. Otherwise you will get a hot spot.

    Ah. Well that's easy enough.

    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Off the top of your head, what do I need to go from the outlet to the element? An extension cord rated for the draw, a switch/breaker, and what else?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Can it really be that simple? Not likely....
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 101,453
    C_dubbs said:

    Off the top of your head, what do I need to go from the outlet to the element? An extension cord rated for the draw, a switch/breaker, and what else?


    the electrical connection are literally that simple for an on/off type heater. you'll want a 3 or 4-wire 220VAC circuit to plug into. the two hots go to the element terminals. the ground lead needs to connect to the metal wand.


    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,929
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Off the top of your head, what do I need to go from the outlet to the element? An extension cord rated for the draw, a switch/breaker, and what else?


    the electrical connection are literally that simple for an on/off type heater. you'll want a 3 or 4-wire 220VAC circuit to plug into. the two hots go to the element terminals. the ground lead needs to connect to the metal wand.

    I have a dryer outlet just inside the window, maybe 15' away.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 101,453
    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Off the top of your head, what do I need to go from the outlet to the element? An extension cord rated for the draw, a switch/breaker, and what else?


    the electrical connection are literally that simple for an on/off type heater. you'll want a 3 or 4-wire 220VAC circuit to plug into. the two hots go to the element terminals. the ground lead needs to connect to the metal wand.

    I have a dryer outlet just inside the window, maybe 15' away.


    that will work
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny