What the crap is this?
  • C_BC_B
    This is a picture looking up from the bottom of my glass. It came out of a keg of apfelwein that I haven't poured a lot from, though more lately. Basically small black flakes that are heavy enough to sit at the bottom of the glass.
    IMAG0720.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 456K
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    hard to tell, how does the apfelwein taste? musty? could be mold.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i know what that is! i struggled against it for some time.
    basically, when you pour beer from your faucet, a small amount flushes inside the faucet head. if you dont' drink it for awhile, it turns sorta black and weird. clean your faucet, it goes away.
    what i do it run star san throough it, then open it(as if pouring a beer) then, while open, i take a little brush all around the head of it and also inside. gets most of it.

i have drank large amounts of that gunk, i think its harmless. think.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

hard to tell, how does the apfelwein taste? musty? could be mold.

Not great, but that's the recipe's (and execution of said recipe) fault. No musty or other off flavors.
  • C_BC_B

i know what that is! i struggled against it for some time.
    basically, when you pour beer from your faucet, a small amount flushes inside the faucet head. if you dont' drink it for awhile, it turns sorta black and weird. clean your faucet, it goes away.
    what i do it run star san throough it, then open it(as if pouring a beer) then, while open, i take a little brush all around the head of it and also inside. gets most of it.

i have drank large amounts of that gunk, i think its harmless. think.

Interesting. I use a picnic tap hooked up at the moment, maybe it needs a good cleaning.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i think its actually in a lot of beer too, but the ciders and things are where you can really see it.
    maybe its more of a product of the apple base though instead of grain.

i have seen it in beer, but that tap may have just previously held a cider, so i don't know.
  • ceanntceannt
    I get some of that in my apple/malt /honey hooch ... and I bottle ... so my guess is that it is that its from the apples .....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

I get some of that in my apple/malt /honey hooch ... and I bottle ... so my guess is that it is that its from the apples .....

In bottles? Ok, that's weird.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    CB said:

ceannt said:

that is weird. i find it inside my taps so i figured it just came from them. once i have kept them clean i have never seen it though.
  • ceanntceannt
    CB said:

ceannt said:

Yeah ..... very little sediment outside the dark granular stuff ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.