Good brewing books to read?
  • C_BC_B
    What are some of the brewing books that are good to read? I use software and other recipes to decide what to brew. If I had to lay out a brewday on paper I'd be screwed. What are some good reference points to learn how to do calculations and such "by hand"?
    Everyone says to read The Joy Of Homebrewing, but I'm not sure about that. I think it covers a lot that I already know. I want to get into more technical items.

Jayrizzle
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Here are two that i have held onto.

Brewing Quality Beer - Byron Burch
    Designing Great Beers - Daniels

The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • scoobscoob
    Technology Brewing And Malting (4th International Edition) by Wolfgang Kunze.   This is one mother of a brewing textbook: over 900 pages translated from German, more in depth than you may want , but maybe not....

Ever wonder the details of mashing perimeters such as temperature, pH, thickness, ion content? Want to know all the pros and cons of mashing in at different temperatures?   The secret to happy yeast?   How different milling, and filtration systems work?   It’s all here.   ALL OF IT.   Yes, there are almost 200 pages on packaging beer, in case you were wondering about that...

A bit pricey though.. $210.00
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Technology Brewing And Malting (4th International Edition) by Wolfgang Kunze.   This is one mother of a brewing textbook: over 900 pages translated from German, more in depth than you may want , but maybe not....

Ever wonder the details of mashing perimeters such as temperature, pH, thickness, ion content? Want to know all the pros and cons of mashing in at different temperatures?   The secret to happy yeast?   How different milling, and filtration systems work?   It’s all here.   ALL OF IT.   Yes, there are almost 200 pages on packaging beer, in case you were wondering about that...

that's the book i want.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

that's the book i want.

Me too ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    somebody zerox me a copy.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt

I was thinking somebody scan it to pdf ....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

i keep it oldskool.

• ThymThym

ceannt said:

i keep it oldskool.

Yeah, oldskool, scoob - go hand scribe 3 copies of that book. Dont forget the pictures and diagrams.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

i keep it oldskool.

Yeah, oldskool, scoob - go hand scribe 3 copies of that book. Dont forget the pictures and diagrams.

I'm on it, already on the 6th page of the first copy, I'm scribing it on parchment, hope that's ok.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

i keep it oldskool.

I'm on it, already on the 6th page of the first copy, I'm scribing it on parchment, hope that's ok.

parchment? kids these days, too lazy to sun dry plant pulp into papyrus. [-(
  • ceanntceannt
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

i keep it oldskool.

You are scribing it with blood aren't you?
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

i keep it oldskool.

You are scribing it with blood aren't you?

Naturally, can't let those virgins go to waste, they have many uses in brewing.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

i keep it oldskool.

You lazy heap, good books are worth carving into stone. oldskool.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    Wow, 3 of 14 posts on topic. That seams like a record of sorts.

Does anyone else have any good book recommendations? There are lots of brewing books out there.
  • ceanntceannt
    I enjoyed Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

I enjoyed Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher

Xtreme brews by caglione is pretty good for recipe ideas
  • C_BC_B
    I currently have and am reading The Homebrewer's Garden and another book about yeast I can't recall the name of. I'm looking for something a bit more technical regarding specifically recipe formulation and the brewing process.
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

I currently have and am reading The Homebrewer's Garden and another book about yeast I can't recall the name of. I'm looking for something a bit more technical regarding specifically recipe formulation and the brewing process.

Designing is a very practical facts and data based book to give you insight into recipe formulation.

The caglione book is sort of an intro into a broader range of styles with examples of recipe formulations along with basic process info across many techniques.

Palmers how to brew is my recommended starting point for technical process information
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Does anyone else have any good book recommendations? There are lots of brewing books out there.

Records are great, some are round vinyl with a hole in the middle, I ate a bagel sandwich this morning, with two eggs on it, those eggs where from my chickens and I like my chickens, when I got them it was winter, it sure is getting cold here, it seems winter is coming, have you ever watch game of throws, it's rather good, I like things that are good, I saw a book at a brew shop that looked good that was just about yeast, I think it was just called "yeast" I'd really like to track that down, that brew shop has gone under since then, I hate it when things I like go out of business.

-Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Records are great, some are round vinyl with a hole in the middle, I ate a bagel sandwich this morning, with two eggs on it, those eggs where from my chickens and I like my chickens, when I got them it was winter, it sure is getting cold here, it seems winter is coming, have you ever watch game of throws, it's rather good, I like things that are good, I saw a book at a brew shop that looked good that was just about yeast, I think it was just called "yeast" I'd really like to track that down, that brew shop has gone under since then, I hate it when things I like go out of business.

http://www.amazon.com/Yeast-Practical-Fermentation-Brewing-Elements/dp/0937381969/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350192219&sr=8-1&keywords=yeast+book
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

http://www.amazon.com/Yeast-Practical-Fermentation-Brewing-Elements/dp/0937381969/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350192219&sr=8-1&keywords=yeast+book

Yeah that's the book I have.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

That's the one, thanks!
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I like John Palmer's book. I use as a a reference, and its all online.

I recommend Charile Papazzian's book for any new brewer. It's simple, a bit dated even though it is on its third edition. It can be a good reference for a new brewer. Once you get the hang of it I think it is a bit basic, but like I said. Good for beginner and constantly reminds you to not take it all too serious starting out.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Benvarine said:

I recommend Charile Papazzian's book for any new brewer. It's simple, a bit dated even though it is on its third edition. It can be a good reference for a new brewer. Once you get the hang of it I think it is a bit basic, but like I said. Good for beginner and constantly reminds you to not take it all too serious starting out.

Ah yes, Palmer's book. I've read the whole thing a few times (the online free one). There are many updates on the newest printed one, but you can make beer if you read the free one. I can't say it's the best starting place for brewers, but it was my starting place and it worked well. I enjoyed how it read, so read it all. Then reread bits here and there after I started brewing.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    I always recommend "The London and Country Brewer" published in 1736... to new brewers .... puts things in perspective
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

I always recommend "The London and Country Brewer" published in 1736... to new brewers .... puts things in perspective

Nothing like a book that out dates carbonation.
    Edit: I just looked it up and found a free PDF: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/london/all.pdf (4.4mb)

scoob
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • scoobscoob

Benvarine said:

Ah yes, Palmer's book. I've read the whole thing a few times (the online free one). There are many updates on the newest printed one, but you can make beer if you read the free one. I can't say it's the best starting place for brewers, but it was my starting place and it worked well. I enjoyed how it read, so read it all. Then reread bits here and there after I started brewing.

I also read and reread that online version, it put my mind at ease when I was unsure if I did something wrong or whatnot.

ceannt said:

Edit: I just looked it up and found a free PDF: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/london/all.pdf (4.4mb)

looks like I'm adding that to the kindle to read.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob

ceannt said:

I have no issues understanding old English, or it's spellings, it's the huge lowercase letter S with the excessive ascender and descender height, looks too similar to the lowercase letter F with its tiny cross stroke that makes it tough to read.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    azscoob said:

ceannt said:

I have no issues understanding old English, or it's spellings, it's the huge lowercase letter S with the excessive ascender and descender height, looks too similar to the lowercase letter F with its tiny cross stroke that makes it tough to read.

hah... it's all the wordage about "humors" that gets to me..... I like how he goes into malting, the different fuels for kilning, and the different waters... goes to show you can brew beer without much understanding of what is really going on... to the point of having no clue what yeast is!
    I love stuff like this.