Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)


Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Bitter Brit Ordinary Bitter
  • scoobscoob
    Posts: 16,617
    Bitter Brit

    BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
    -------------------------------

    08-A English Pale Ale, Standard/Ordinary Bitter

    Min OG: 1.032 Max OG: 1.040
    Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 35
    Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

    Recipe Specifics
    ----------------

    Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
    Total Grain (Lbs): 7.13
    Anticipated OG: 1.035 Plato: 8.66
    Anticipated SRM: 10.1
    Anticipated IBU: 30.1
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
    Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

    Pre-Boil Amounts
    ----------------

    Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
    Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
    Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.029 SG 7.40 Plato


    Grain/Extract/Sugar

    % Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    77.2 5.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
    7.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
    14.0 1.00 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 25
    1.8 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

    Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.


    Hops

    Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0.75 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 13.7 First WH
    0.75 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 13.1 First WH
    0.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 1.7 5 min.
    0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 1.6 5 min.


    Yeast
    -----

    WYeast 1968 London Extra Special Bitter


    Mash Schedule
    -------------

    Mash Type: Single Step

    Grain Lbs: 7.13
    Water Qts: 7.13 - Before Additional Infusions
    Water Gal: 1.78 - Before Additional Infusions

    Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.00 - Before Additional Infusions

    Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
    Mash-out Rest Temp : 212 Time: 10
    Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10


    Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.35 - Dough-In Infusion Only




    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Posts: 16,617
    Time to brew this up again, thinking I may use some Phoenix hops instead of fuggles for the FWH, move it to 60 min instead of FWH, and keep the EKG addition as FWH. This should bump perceived bitterness while still keeping the smoothness of the FWH addition.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 47,190
    The combination of fuggles and EKG is one of my favorite hop profiles. Your original recipe is very similar to a few versions I have done ..... but with MO... and without the victory.... yummy
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • scoobscoob
    Posts: 16,617
    ceannt said:

    The combination of fuggles and EKG is one of my favorite hop profiles. Your original recipe is very similar to a few versions I have done ..... but with MO... and without the victory.... yummy



    I make my own home toasted victory, it is a fresher brighter profile than I have gotten from MO alone, I started home toasting 2-row to get a flavor close to MO with what I had, and found I liked it better than what I was trying to emulate.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 47,190
    azscoob said:

    ceannt said:

    The combination of fuggles and EKG is one of my favorite hop profiles. Your original recipe is very similar to a few versions I have done ..... but with MO... and without the victory.... yummy



    I make my own home toasted victory, it is a fresher brighter profile than I have gotten from MO alone, I started home toasting 2-row to get a flavor close to MO with what I had, and found I liked it better than what I was trying to emulate.


    Sounds like you have recreated the old Amber Malt ......(bears no resemblance to anything commercially available today) ..... awesome!
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 47,190
    I am not a fan of the modern victory malt
    Have you tried toasting MO?
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • scoobscoob
    Posts: 16,617
    ceannt said:

    I am not a fan of the modern victory malt
    Have you tried toasting MO?



    I did, great flavor, almost peanut butter like...
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 47,190
    azscoob said:

    ceannt said:

    I am not a fan of the modern victory malt
    Have you tried toasting MO?



    I did, great flavor, almost peanut butter like...


    Mmmmmmm.......
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,461
    azscoob said:

    ceannt said:

    I am not a fan of the modern victory malt
    Have you tried toasting MO?



    I did, great flavor, almost peanut butter like...

    Peanut butter? I must try this...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • scoobscoob
    Posts: 16,617

    azscoob said:

    ceannt said:

    I am not a fan of the modern victory malt
    Have you tried toasting MO?



    I did, great flavor, almost peanut butter like...

    Peanut butter? I must try this...


    Yup, spread out a couple pounds on a cookie sheet or two, put in oven with heat at 350 for like 15 minutes, pull it out and put it in a paper bag for a week to 10 days, then mill and use as usual
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 100,733
    azscoob said:

    azscoob said:

    ceannt said:

    I am not a fan of the modern victory malt
    Have you tried toasting MO?



    I did, great flavor, almost peanut butter like...

    Peanut butter? I must try this...


    Yup, spread out a couple pounds on a cookie sheet or two, put in oven with heat at 350 for like 15 minutes, pull it out and put it in a paper bag for a week to 10 days, then mill and use as usual

    Why the paper bag?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • scoobscoob
    Posts: 16,617
    Lakewood said:

    azscoob said:

    azscoob said:

    ceannt said:

    I am not a fan of the modern victory malt
    Have you tried toasting MO?



    I did, great flavor, almost peanut butter like...

    Peanut butter? I must try this...


    Yup, spread out a couple pounds on a cookie sheet or two, put in oven with heat at 350 for like 15 minutes, pull it out and put it in a paper bag for a week to 10 days, then mill and use as usual

    Why the paper bag?


    To let the grain mellow a bit from toasting, if used too soon it seems to have a bitterness and burnt husk flavor to it, I transfer it to vacuum sealed bags after it has sat in paper, it keeps fresh and the bitterness is gone, never tried going straight to vacuum bagging, maybe on my next batch..
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 47,190
    Everything I have ever read about home roasting grains stresses how important it is to allow the grain to "mellow" for a couple of weeks prior to brewing. The paper bag idea lets the grain cool all the way through, and lets air in to facilitate the mellowing process.
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.