Wet Shaving, Shave Like Your Grandfather!
  • scoobscoob
    A couple years back I was like many others, dreading having to shave, fighting ingrown hairs and red bumps, endless skin irritation, etc.

Then I discovered wet shaving.

Wet shaving is a method of shaving that involves all those things I used to see on my grandfathers bathroom shelf, a brush made of badger or boar hair, a selection of fine shave soaps, and of course, a well made razor, not some silly plastic job with a dozen blades, but a real honest to goodness razor, made of metal and built to last a lifetime, or several lifetimes. It uses a double edge razor blade and will out perform the latest hype currently being offered.

I took a look around eBay and found a 1936 Gillette "Tech" safety razor, I jumped on it and placed my bid. For the princely sum of just under 12 dollars shipped I had a vintage razor ready to get cleaned and polished up.

I found a badger hair brush at target for 9 dollars and a puck of van der Hagen shave soap for another 3 dollars.

I went home and dug out a suitable bowl, and proceeded to learn how to properly build some lather, I soaked my face with hot towels to soften up the scruff and lathered up.

That first shave was amazing, it took longer than I thought, but I couldn't believe how smoothe my face was, my grandpa was right, sometimes the old fashioned ways just work the best!

There are some things that are important to know: don't push on the razor! The blades are incredibly sharp and the razor is quite heavy, using pressure can result in a cheese slicer effect instead of a close shave.

Make a pass with the grain, not to get a close shave but rather to knock the stubble down a bit, rinse with hot water, lather up and make a second pass across the grain to get a close shave, rinse, lather and make a final pass against the grain to get that baby butt smoothe face.

Splash some aftershave on and admire that clean as a whistle feeling, and you shaved like a real man! Men like Teddy Roosevelt, Frank Sinatra, James Dean.

And my grandfather.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I am up to a dozen or so safety razors, all vintage and all are great shavers, I have a couple straight razors that I break out with on occasion.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I now have a scuttle for building my lather in, and I have several different kinds of shave soaps and creams.

I have tried many different blades trying to find the perfect combo of blade and razor that works best on my face. So far it is the shark blades loaded in a long comb Gillette NEW.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    Wow. Ebay here I come.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    I hate shaving. But rockin' out old school might be the ticket.
  • scoobscoob
    Some of the tools of the trade
    2011-12-30 20.20.29.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 2M
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Straight shave.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Straight shave.

Pic no posted
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    SeaBee said:

I hate shaving. But rockin' out old school might be the ticket.

I used to hate shaving, now that I shave old school, it's more of a relaxing ritual, weekends I shave with the straight and take my time, weekdays I shave with a safety razor, I can get three passes in and be cleaned up and put away in 7-10 minutes. Not a lot of time to get a good clean shave in
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

That's a wicked cool looking set up. Nice clean package.
  • scoobscoob
    It's a pipe rack, where my scuttle is is where the tobacco jar would sit, the brush holder is bent coat hanger screwed to the side
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I'm quite a coat hanger craftsman.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    that scuttle is cool lookin. is that a fill hole for a hot water chamber?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • scoobscoob

Yes it is, keeps the lather nice and warm!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

Yes it is, keeps the lather nice and warm!

Nifty
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

It's a pipe rack, where my scuttle is is where the tobacco jar would sit, the brush holder is bent coat hanger screwed to the side

I would have believed it if you told me it was specifically made for use with these items.
  • ceanntceannt
    Used a straight razor for years ...... best shave ever .... and the brush and cake soap is the only way to go
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • scoobscoob
    I have been using CO Bigelow shave cream from bath and body works. A toothpaste style tube is 5 dollars for the smaller tube, and it gets me a fantastic shave.

It is made by proraso of Italy for them, has a nice menthol tingle to it, and all you need is an almond sized dollop in your shave bowl.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I also use 4-6 drops of extra virgin olive oil in the shave bowl as well when building lather, it adds a bit of additional lubrication and it helps build a meringue like shave lather.

Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Not to mention that EVOO is great for your skin, not greasy at all when added to the lather, and is waaaaay cheaper than some fancy pre shave oil.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    The Olive oil sounds great ..... I just use the cake soap ...... 95 cents .... and lasts forever ..... may have to dibble a little olive oil on the cake next time
  • ceanntceannt
    The secret to all this is a good brush ..... natural boar bristles is the best
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

I feel a good badger brush gets me a better lather over boars hair. I like a softer brush as well, boar tends to be a bit scruffier on my face
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    After showering today I rolled out the straight, the one I used today is a nice bit of German steel, full hollow ground, 6/8ths wide with a rounded point and nice tight scales.

I have taken to post shave stopping so the razor is ready to grab and go, one trick I learned that gets me a nice bite from the strop is after is was treated to some neats foot oil I now give it a brushing with the last of my shave lather, this gives the leather a really nice draw and I have been getting a nice finish to the blade.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I'm going to give that blade a good 20 or 30 passes on the oxide paddles to bring up the edge, I haven't done much other than strop it for a year now, starting to pull a little
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    Apparently there is a lot to sharpening a straight....
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    azscoob said:

but where do you keep you're pipes now?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw
    I kind of want to do this. I use an electric razor becuase the 5 blade razors just wear my skin out. I hurt for a couple of days after. The problem is my electric razor is 10 years old and basically won't hold a charge all the way through a shave. So now I have to spend probably $60 to $100 on a new one of those, yet the shave isn't all that close. My only hold back here is the investment in something I may not like or may not fix the razor burn after.
  • ceanntceannt
    azscoob said:

ceannt said:

I feel a good badger brush gets me a better lather over boars hair. I like a softer brush as well, boar tends to be a bit scruffier on my face

My granddady liked the badger too.... I think you get a better lather with the boar .... but then again .. I like the cake soap over the tube ..... one of those "your mileage may vary" deals ....
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

I kind of want to do this. I use an electric razor becuase the 5 blade razors just wear my skin out. I hurt for a couple of days after. The problem is my electric razor is 10 years old and basically won't hold a charge all the way through a shave. So now I have to spend probably $60 to $100 on a new one of those, yet the shave isn't all that close. My only hold back here is the investment in something I may not like or may not fix the razor burn after.

Give it a try ..... most comfortable shave ever.. just don't use a straight razor if small children ... dogs ..... wife .... are in the room .... good way to cut your throat ....
  • ceanntceannt
    And yes ..... that is the voice of experience .....
  • scoobscoob
    jlw said:

Hit eBay or etsy and look for a vintage safety razor, snap it up and get yourself some blades from your corner drug store to start. Grab a brush from target and a tube of CO Bigelow shave cream for 5 dollars from bath and body works, not the canned goo, proper shave cream in a tube.

Look up mantic59 on YouTube and watch every shaving video he has posted, if after you have given it your all and you still shave like shit, pm me and I will buy you out of your wet shaving razor and brush for what you paid, as long as you didn't buy some jacked up razor to begin with I have no problem with more gear.

How's that for an incentive to start down the road to a great shave???

I have offered this same incentive to many many folks, never bought a single razor or brush off anyone, I have offered them advice on a second razor, but never bought that first one.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    azscoob said:

jlw said:

Hit eBay or etsy and look for a vintage safety razor, snap it up and get yourself some blades from your corner drug store to start. Grab a brush from target and a tube of CO Bigelow shave cream for 5 dollars from bath and body works, not the canned goo, proper shave cream in a tube.

Look up mantic59 on YouTube and watch every shaving video he has posted, if after you have given it your all and you still shave like shit, pm me and I will buy you out of your wet shaving razor and brush for what you paid, as long as you didn't buy some jacked up razor to begin with I have no problem with more gear.

How's that for an incentive to start down the road to a great shave???

I have offered this same incentive to many many folks, never bought a single razor or brush off anyone, I have offered them advice on a second razor, but never bought that first one.

Interesting. Maybe I'll start looking around this week.
  • scoobscoob
    You are really digging the gillette adjustable super speed razors

A barn door adjustable razor is really nice, but it is a lot of razor, as long as you start out pretty mellow things will not go too bloody. I started out on a tech since they are mild shavers that can still cut a close beard, the adjustable ones are tough because they can be as aggressive ad you set them to, but can be touchy to a noob if set to kill.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    Since I don;t know much about the razors I just randomly picked the Gillete. I'll keep looking. Maybe I should read the descriptions.
  • scoobscoob
    Search safety razor and look for non adjustable ones, like the Gillette tech or similar
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    Or just go for a good straight razor ..... kind of scary at first ... but gives an amazing shave once you get used to it .....
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Or just go for a good straight razor ..... kind of scary at first ... but gives an amazing shave once you get used to it .....

If you survive that long.
  • scoobscoob
    SeaBee said:

ceannt said:

If you survive that long.

Not that hard to learn to shave with a straight, I have nicked myself more with a safety razor than I ever have with a straight
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Check out whippeddog.com and look into the sight unseen deal, you get a honed shave ready straight razor, balsa paddle with oxide paste on it for fine honing, a leather strop with oil and extra red and green oxide for the paddle. I got one, shipped its like 35 dollars. The razor is great, some time with a scrub brush and oxyclean got it looking good, a quick polish with my dremel got it shining like new.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    I have cut the holy ******** out of myself with a safety razor ..... blade not set right ..... don't have that issue with a straight .... once you get the angle down pat a straight razor is far less likely to make you bleed ...

scoob
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Just ordered The Works package from Whipped Dog. Straight-razor shaving, here I come!

scoob
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Package arrived last night. A nice Kronprinz straight razor by Karl Engel from Wald, Germany was waiting for me inside. It's not the prettiest razor (yet), but it will shave. First test will be this Sunday.

Also received some Bald Frog Cucumber Mint and Baker St shave soaps. Both smell amazing.

@azscoob, can you detail your cleaning procedure for the straight?

Also, mine came with a coating of oil on it, does this need to be maintained between shaves?

Pics later tonight.

scoob
  • scoobscoob
    Ace_Club said:

Package arrived last night. A nice Kronprinz straight razor by Karl Engel from Wald, Germany was waiting for me inside. It's not the prettiest razor (yet), but it will shave. First test will be this Sunday.

Also received some Bald Frog Cucumber Mint and Baker St shave soaps. Both smell amazing.

@azscoob, can you detail your cleaning procedure for the straight?

Also, mine came with a coating of oil on it, does this need to be maintained between shaves?

Pics later tonight.

I sure can detail my process!, I use a toothbrush and a dremel......
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    First I give it a soak in scalding water with some oxyclean, then I use the toothbrush to get into the detail areas on the scales and the spine ribs.... After that I rinse well and rescrub the same areas using glass cleaner to clean, then rinse again.

For the blade I lay it flat to protect the edge and using low rpm I polish the blade using a felt buff and mothers metal polish paste in a tin (I think it's for mag wheels, etc) in a few minutes I have the blade shining like new.

Then a scrub again with the toothbrush being careful of the edge, retouch areas, opening it a bit to get in all possible areas of the metal, then clean and dry it off.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I have some pics of before and after cleaning that I will need to post up
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Good to know. I'll have to try that out once I get a few shaves in. Plan to try it out tomorrow.

scoob
  • scoobscoob
    Ace_Club said:

Good to know. I'll have to try that out once I get a few shaves in. Plan to try it out tomorrow.

How goes the shaving? Haven't bled out yet?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    azscoob said:

Ace_Club said:

How goes the shaving? Haven't bled out yet?

First shave was horrible. I tried to maintain a 30 degree angle. All I felt was tugging and pulling, with little to no hair being removed. No bleeders though.

Due to time and babies, I didn't get to try again for a whole week. Yesterday was my second attempt.

Utilizing some tips from users at Badger & Blade, I tried again. I basically had the spine against my skin, with slight adjustments of the angle. This time, it went much, much better. It still took a long time (but should get quicker with practice), but whiskers were sheared off in mass quantities. The blade went over my skin smoothly. I did two passes and ended up with a very smooth shave. There are still some areas of my face I need to work on (chin and lower neck), but overall I'm pleased. I also had some weepers, but nothing that a styptic pencil and some witch hazel couldn't take care of.

I'm so pleased that I just ordered two more straights from whipped dog (so I can have a rotation), and am wondering if I'll ever try out the two DEs I picked up from ebay.
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Once I get my new razors, I'll try polishing them up. While it shaves fine with all the patina, I want some pretty razors. :D
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah ... the angle takes a bit to get down .... more of a "scrape" that a "cut".... try holding the blade almost vertical ... and a very little backwards tilt ... so the cutting edge is behind the direction of forward motion.... take short strokes
    that's the way my granddaddy showed me
  • ceanntceannt
    And he never used anything but a straight
  • scoobscoob
    I shaved with the 1921 Gillette NEW safety razor, it's a bit touchy at times if the blade gets dull, but always a nice smoothe shave.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    In fact, I find the open comb long tooth Gillette NEW to be one of the best shaving safety razors ever made.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

In fact, I find the open comb long tooth Gillette NEW to be one of the best shaving safety razors ever made.

For the razor retarded, do you have a link or a pic to what specifically you are talking about?
  • scoobscoob
    Whipped up a nice lather with a pea size dollop of CO Bigelow shave cream, some whiskey shave soap from Portland general store rolled into the brush and 4 drops of olive oil.

Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    C_dubbs said:

azscoob said:

For the razor retarded, do you have a link or a pic to what specifically you are talking about?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_wild/5748616999/
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

C_dubbs said:

azscoob said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_wild/5748616999/

Ah. Got it.
  • scoobscoob
    There is a link to a pic of one, grabbed it on the interwebs
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    as a bearded man, i don't shave.

please describe the process needed to shave my, or my ladies, bush using this fancy old school method.....the way your grandfather would have shaved his bush.
  • scoobscoob

please describe the process needed to shave my, or my ladies, bush using this fancy old school method.....the way your grandfather would have shaved his bush.

Honestly, it's no different than using a modern razor, just need to use less pressure, or you might fillet your goods.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Honestly, it's no different than using a modern razor, just need to use less pressure, or you might fillet your goods.

that sounds tragic.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny