Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Single Tier Design and Build Thread
  • jlwjlw
    I think I am getting close to building or buying a single tier system. I would prefer to build but sometimes it's just easier to buy. However, I have a friend that can weld and is an engineer and has volunteered his services to help me build a nice single tier system.

What i am looking for are design or plans that we could look at and get a pieces parts list and price this puppy out.

Any suggestions?
  • C_BC_B
    Have you decided gas or electric? Any automation? Will this be a rolling rig so to brew in the garage/driveway?
    In any case I'm a bit jealous...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    I think I am going to go with gas and yes to rolling. I thin kI will store inthe crawl space under the house as I do not have a basement or a garage.

Not sure on automation yet.
  • ThymThym
    How high is the crawl space?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JerryJerry
    1/2bbl kegs?.... or SS 55gal drums?
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

I can almost stand up so it is probaby 5 to 51/2 foot tall.
  • jlwjlw

1/2bbl kegs?.... or SS 55gal drums?

I am going to go with the kegs becuase the guy welding the frame for me has kegs he wants to give me.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

That's one hell of a crawl space. I'd call that more of a duck your head space.

Are you planning on going 3 vessel or 2?
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

I'm thinking three vessel. I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler as my MT so I was thinking of starting off simple to do 10 gallon batches of low to moderate gravity beers. If I could come up with a way to insualte a keg and turn into a MT then I would do that.

I think eventually I might go to RIMS or HERMS but not sure I want the investment up front?

• C_BC_B
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

I'm thinking three vessel. I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler as my MT so I was thinking of starting off simple to do 10 gallon batches of low to moderate gravity beers. If I could come up with a way to insualte a keg and turn into a MT then I would do that.

I think eventually I might go to RIMS or HERMS but not sure I want the investment up front?

This sounds like a great way to start. You know how to hit temps on that system (basically what you use now?) so why mess with it, just put it all together on a rig.

That's a nice place to store it. Maybe get a fitted tarp to keep dust and stuff off in storage? Or use all QDs on the vessels so you can flip them upside-down?

Do you already have pumps? Fly sparge or batch?
  • jlwjlw
    I also want to put big rubber tires on it like the kind on a dolly (the wones filled with air)

I need pumps but I may have a line on at least one with my brewer friend that is quitting.

Good point on storage of the vessels. Need to think through that a little more.
  • C_BC_B
    Big tires are nice.

Custom fitted elastic banded tarp/tarps would rock, but be expensive.... If I build a rig to stay outside I'm going to get a fitted tarp to go clear down almost to the casters and fasten on.

With batch sparge and QDs/camlocks you *could* roll with one pump. At least for now.
  • jlwjlw
    Oh yeah i meant to say early I will batch sparge. i personally think fly is a waste of time for slightly better efficiency. At least that has been my experience.
  • scoobscoob
    I really want to build a rig, thinking of making a two vessel version with my mash tun cooler to keep things simple for now, I have a pump, I just need a plate chiller, any ideas on a decent chiller for little money?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

I really want to build a rig, thinking of making a two vessel version with my mash tun cooler to keep things simple for now, I have a pump, I just need a plate chiller, any ideas on a decent chiller for little money?

Keg Cowboy sells a plate chiller for a good price. Otherwise you can build a counterflow chiller for a bit less.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

Keg Cowboy sells a plate chiller for a good price. Otherwise you can build a counterflow chiller for a bit less.

I was thinking counter flow, I have my IC, I could use half of it and make a counter flow chiller, all I would need is a couple fittings and a hose.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

I was thinking counter flow, I have my IC, I could use half of it and make a counter flow chiller, all I would need is a couple fittings and a hose.

I was thinking for doing the same.
  • scoobscoob
    How to thread.... Ready....set.... GO!!!
    Jesus didn't wear pants