Blending Beers
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Anyone blend beers before? I brewed two recently. One honey wheat, but light on the wheat and a #9 clone. The #9 turned out good, but a little too fruity for my taste, definately drinkable, and good session beer, but again, a little fruity. The honey wheat was just a bit drab, nothing special. Not bad, not great, just okay. So I began blending them at the tap, a little of this, a little of that, turns out to pour a pretty good session pint. Slight hint of fruit, and none of the drab flavor of the wheat ale.
  • ThymThym
    Blending beers is a great way to improve batch to batch consistency as well as experiment with new flavors. I've keg blended beers that were supposed to be the same but fermented out slightly different.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i do it all the time. it makes having only two beers on tap much more interesting.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    I mentioned in my commerical beer discussion that I blended a RIS and IIPA and that is an excelent blend.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    PBR is a blend of 27 beers (18 of them might be cat piss)
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Blending is a good way to correct messed up batches ..... say you brew something that turns out painfully sweet .... brew up a quick batch of low gravity very dry beer .... and start experimenting until you hit the right balance
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I'm out of one half of the blend now. Any suggestions on fixing the bad one? I am thinking about a fruit extract added to the keg. Not sure if some hops would help. I have over half a keg to kill and alone it ain't great. I tapped an Amarillo pale ale, but blended is not great.
  • ThymThym
    what is the bad half? what does it taste like? what caused the bad flavor?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    The honey wheat. It tastes a little bland, nothing really jumps out. I also suck at describing what I am tasting. It is drinkable, but not real tasty, it dosent make you want another one. I don't know what caused it. Is being a bad brewer a reason? First time for the recipe, I found it on BeerSmith.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

The honey wheat. It tastes a little bland, nothing really jumps out. I also suck at describing what I am tasting. It is drinkable, but not real tasty, it dosent make you want another one. I don't know what caused it. Is being a bad brewer a reason? First time for the recipe, I found it on BeerSmith.

so more of a lame beer than a particularly bad beer...
  • ThymThym
    being that the beer is just wimpy and flavorless, try to think of what flavors it is lacking. consider the flavors that are there, what ones would be you like to accentuate? consider the best example of the style, what is missing here in comparison.

overall, it's much easier to add flavor than to cover one up. bad flavors are there forever, but a bland beer can be excellent filler material to make that next 10 gallon batch into 13 gallons of awesome.