Dry hopping question.
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    Is it easier to dry hop in the keg or in the fermenter? I use a hop bag. Also does it matter the temp of the beer when dry hopping? Can I carb up and dry hop at the same time? Or chill and dry hop? I've always just done it like a week before bottling in the fermenter or secondary.
  • ThymThym
    Extraction of aromatics will be slowed and the beer will continuously change over time if you dry hop in the keg. Otherwise, it is not unheard of.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
    What if I removed the hop bag before carbing up?
    And does the temp matter?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I've never dry hopped on the keg. Please clarify for me. I usually ferment, rack, dry hop, rack for clarity, then keg or bottle. Do you have to rack again after your put hops in the keg? Do you leave them in the entire time you are drinking the beer? I thought you got grassy tastes from leaving hops on too long. I am interested in this, but like I said, I know nothing, nothing at all, about anything.
  • ThymThym
    You can do it practically any way you choose. But when i talk about dry hopping in the keg i mean literally taking hops and placing them in a bag or tea ball or something to contain them, and putting them in the final cleared beer that has gone into the serving keg. Cool it and carb it. Some light grassy notes may come out. But not the vegetal flavors you can get from extended dry hop at ferm temps.

The flavor will continue to evolve as you drink the keg so unless you plow through it all in a weekend, it'll always be a new experience. If it seems to have reached its peak at some point you can bottle off the keg and that will lock in the flavor for a while. But at the low temps of a serving fridge its unlikely youll keep it around long enough for the hop profile to start to turn grassy.
    Benvarine said:

I've never dry hopped on the keg. Please clarify for me. I usually ferment, rack, dry hop, rack for clarity, then keg or bottle. Do you have to rack again after your put hops in the keg? Do you leave them in the entire time you are drinking the beer? I thought you got grassy tastes from leaving hops on too long. I am interested in this, but like I said, I know nothing, nothing at all, about anything.

I usually dry hop right in the primary if I can with a hop bag. Then just pull it out and bottle. I was thinkin maybe rack to keg and drop in a hop bag for 5-7 days then remove the bag and carbonate.
  • ceanntceannt
    I just dry hop in Primary..... but then again, I don't keg.... so I'm no help at all.....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    But I don't know why it wouldn't work..... so long as you were able to "fish out" the hop bag after a while.....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

You can do it practically any way you choose. But when i talk about dry hopping in the keg i mean literally taking hops and placing them in a bag or tea ball or something to contain them, and putting them in the final cleared beer that has gone into the serving keg. Cool it and carb it. Some light grassy notes may come out. But not the vegetal flavors you can get from extended dry hop at ferm temps.

The flavor will continue to evolve as you drink the keg so unless you plow through it all in a weekend, it'll always be a new experience. If it seems to have reached its peak at some point you can bottle off the keg and that will lock in the flavor for a while. But at the low temps of a serving fridge its unlikely youll keep it around long enough for the hop profile to start to turn grassy.

I seems dry hopping under fermentation and dry hopping in the keg are two completely different things. You could also do both if you were looking for something really hoppy. Do you have any experience with wet hopping in the keg?
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

I seems dry hopping under fermentation and dry hopping in the keg are two completely different things. You could also do both if you were looking for something really hoppy. Do you have any experience with wet hopping in the keg?

I wouldnt call them two completely different things, but yes they have some unique qualities. Ive never had fresh hops so no to the wet hop. In fact i cant recall coming across that specific combination in any of the literature ive read either. But the principle is the same. In the keg you will get the slow sustained release of flavor and aroma components.