Kegged beer carbonation question
  • jlwjlw
    My saison I kegged two weeks ago and is not carbing up. I added 3 oz of sugar and then racked the beer on top. I have it on the gas right now at about 15 psi. When I pull the handle nothing come out. The keg has pressure and aI checked. What I think is happening is one of two things.

1. I put the keg in the keggerator at 55* and maybe it is too cool to carb?
    2. I bulk aged this beer for 5 months and wonder if there isn't enough yeast to carb up with the sugar.

I think i will just force carb with 25 psi and see if that works.
  • C_BC_B
    Force carb is definitely the fastest answer. I would say between the bulk aging taking lost yeast out and the 55* temps it'll naturally carb sometime in 2013.

"On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Wait wait, you have 15psi on it now and nothing comes out of the tap? You got a plugged poppet or dip tube or something.
  • jlwjlw

Wait wait, you have 15psi on it now and nothing comes out of the tap? You got a plugged poppet or dip tube or something.

I didn't think so but I could check that. When I say nothing what comes out is a tine little drop or two and I can see the beer in the line wanting to move but like there isn;t enough pressure behind it to make it move.
  • C_BC_B
    At 15psi? You should have a steady flow. Regardless of whether or not it is carbed. as soon as you hook gas to it and pull the tap open, liquid comes out. I think I may be misunderstanding something.

Thym
  • C_BC_B
    You could also try it on another tap.
  • ThymThym

At 15psi? You should have a steady flow. Regardless of whether or not it is carbed. as soon as you hook gas to it and pull the tap open, liquid comes out. I think I may be misunderstanding something.

this is true
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    So sounds like I may need to break the keg down to see if there is an obstruction. I'll check on it tonight.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

So sounds like I may need to break the keg down to see if there is an obstruction. I'll check on it tonight.

Yeah.. Remember to bleed all of the pressure off and leave the relief valve open while messing with it.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Yeah.. Remember to bleed all of the pressure off and leave the relief valve open while messing with it.

This is terrible advice. You are a terrible friend. @JLW Do not bleed off the pressure first, use a screwdriver to push down the beer out poppet while looking at it very closely. Oh, and set up a video camera.
  • C_BC_B

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

This is terrible advice. You are a terrible friend. @JLW Do not bleed off the pressure first, use a screwdriver to push down the beer out poppet while looking at it very closely. Oh, and set up a video camera.

Anyone reading this please ignore. I just woke up and I'm feeling schiesty. ALWAYS bleed off pressure before toying with is live keg.
  • jlwjlw

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Done and done.
  • jlwjlw
    Clogged with hops. Apparently I racked hop debris into the keg. That sucks! Prolly have to clean that dip tube out a couple of times.
  • C_BC_B
    Glad you figured it out. Whole hops?
  • jlwjlw
    No, pellets. When I dry hopped this saison I discovered I was out of hop bags and had to just throw in. Last time I do that.
  • C_BC_B
    Oh. Fail.
  • jlwjlw
    Yeah, I just hope it clears up soon
  • C_BC_B
    I'm sure it'll be fine. I tend to get flecks of hop particle in my glass with nearly every pour. I think it is caused by my "F it, put it all in the bucket and let God sort it out" boil kettle to fermenter transfer policy. I am changing that policy now.
  • ThymThym
    more importantly.... how is the beer?
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

I am ashamed that I missed this most important of all points. I shall spank myself and then retire to the corner.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

Beer is awesome. The bulk age brought out so much of that saison funk and the yeast gives it a nice "peppery" hint to it. I have one bottle left over from last year's version that I am going to sample side by side this weekend.
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    Nice. Good info here.