Apocalypse Ale Belgian Dark/Strong Specialty Beer
  • ceanntceannt
    This beer is awesome..... kind of mangles the style guidelines a bit, but is intended to.

(Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.087
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.015
    (Bitterness) IBU = 45
    (Color) SRM = 23
    (Alcohol) APV = 9.6%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle = 279

for a 5-gallon batch

11.5 pounds Pilsner Malt
    2 pounds Munich Malt (7L)
    1 pound White Wheat Malt
    0.5 pounds Special B
    0.25 pounds Carafa III
    1 pound Turbinado sugar (added with 15 min. left in boil)

1.5 oz. Styrian Goldings 60-minutes
    0.5 oz. Styrian Goldings 30-minutes
    1 oz. Saaz 5-minutes

T-58 yeast

Single infusion mash at 148-149 for 90-minutes. (5.00 gallons strike water, or 1.312 quarts/pound)
    Batch sparge twice. 2.5 gallons at 170 first sparge
    2 gallons at 170 second.

90-minute boil. Bring to boil, then turn down the heat to get it just barely boiling for remainder.

Ferment in the low 60s for the first 4-days. Then in the low 70s for the remainder of fermentation.
    Primary only for 5-7 weeks.
    Do not over carbonate, you want no more than about a half inch of head.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    The lable I came up with for it....
    apocalypse-revised.jpg
    405 x 555 - 32K
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh..... let this one age....
    At 5 months at room temperature it is spectacular ..... after almost a year and a half it is off the charts .....
  • ceanntceannt
    This was brewed as part of the challenge that also spawned the Debacle......
    The third and final one is still in the works .....
  • jlwjlw
    Oh damn. I'm making this. I might have to make this now, for next winter.
  • ceanntceannt
    Hah ..... it is a good winter beer....
  • ceanntceannt
    I should probably also note that soft water is best. ,... I cut my water a good bit with distilled ....
  • jlwjlw
    Did you do any bulk aging? With the complexities in this beer seems like a nice 6 month bulk age might do well?
  • ceanntceannt
    I started warning people that I gave this to ...... it's dangerous .... the wheat did it's job ..... very smooth ....
    I gave a few to the guy that made the challenge .... he drank one, ... said damn that's good, poured another....... his wife walked in and said "are you OK? Your face is all red.... and you look all sweaty........ You're drunk!!!"
  • C_BC_B
    Oh man. This looks delicious. Actually it looks like something I should bottle.

BTW, what are you calling "room temp"?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

I started warning people that I gave this to ...... it's dangerous .... the wheat did it's job ..... very smooth ....
    I gave a few to the guy that made the challenge .... he drank one, ... said damn that's good, poured another....... his wife walked in and said "are you OK? Your face is all red.... and you look all sweaty........ You're drunk!!!"

pansy
  • ceanntceannt

Oh man. This looks delicious. Actually it looks like something I should bottle.

BTW, what are you calling "room temp"?

Low 70s.....
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

pansy

That's what I called him ......