Carafa Brown
  • BenSBenS
    I've been craving hoppy, bitter beers lately so I came up with this recipe on a whim. Not much malt flavor, just brown color.

8lb 2-row
    2lb flaked barley
    6oz carafa 3

8 g Bravo leaf (17.4%) 60 min
    14 g N. Brewer (10%) 30 min
    14 g N. Brewer (10%) 15 min
    14 g Challenger (8.8%) 15 min
    14 g Bravo (17.4%) 5 min

US-05

Mash 150F
    Ferment 65F
    OG-1.051
    IBU-43
    ABV-5%

I decided to combine the Challenger and N. Brewer @15min to try and get some spicy mint, woodsy flavors out. First time trying Bravo as an aroma addition as well. Heard it plays well with others and can add a complex pear, juicy aroma.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • ThymThym
    Did you brew it?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Should be very light and crisp....... sounds good. Let us know how it turns out
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

Did you brew it?

Haven't brewed it yet. Hopefully I can get to it by Monday but we'll see.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

Did you brew it?

Haven't brewed it yet. Hopefully I can get to it by Monday but we'll see.

Sounds good. Looking forward to the report out ;)
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenSBenS
    So I'm brewing this monday and I think I'm going to swap the base grain from plain old 2-row to Maris Otter. Since there's not much to the malt bill, I think Maris Otter may add a bit more depth to the mouth feel that people expect from a brown.
  • ceanntceannt
    The MO will give you more flavor also, as well as a bit more depth of character.
    I would be tempted to mash a little higher if you are after more mouth feel.... like maybe 154.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    If for no other reason, I brew so I can use the term "mouth feel" in a sentence with a straight face.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenSBenS
    Just finished this brew day.
    OG - 1.056
    I ended up mashing around 151-152F.

I'm pretty glad my efficiency came back up from last brew. Pretty much proves to me that the poor efficiency I got last time was from the old grain.
  • BenSBenS
    So I thought I had a few more packets of US-05 to pitch into this wort, but apparently the only dry yeast I have left is T-58. Opinions? The LBHS doesn't open til thursday.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    not t58.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    @BenS, how about an update?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake