Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Carafa Brown
  • BenSBenS
    I've been craving hoppy, bitter beers lately so I came up with this recipe on a whim. Not much malt flavor, just brown color.

8lb 2-row
    2lb flaked barley
    6oz carafa 3

8 g Bravo leaf (17.4%) 60 min
    14 g N. Brewer (10%) 30 min
    14 g N. Brewer (10%) 15 min
    14 g Challenger (8.8%) 15 min
    14 g Bravo (17.4%) 5 min

US-05

Mash 150F
    Ferment 65F
    OG-1.051
    IBU-43
    ABV-5%

I decided to combine the Challenger and N. Brewer @15min to try and get some spicy mint, woodsy flavors out. First time trying Bravo as an aroma addition as well. Heard it plays well with others and can add a complex pear, juicy aroma.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • ThymThym
    Did you brew it?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Should be very light and crisp....... sounds good. Let us know how it turns out
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

Did you brew it?

Haven't brewed it yet. Hopefully I can get to it by Monday but we'll see.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

Did you brew it?

Haven't brewed it yet. Hopefully I can get to it by Monday but we'll see.

Sounds good. Looking forward to the report out ;)
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenSBenS
    So I'm brewing this monday and I think I'm going to swap the base grain from plain old 2-row to Maris Otter. Since there's not much to the malt bill, I think Maris Otter may add a bit more depth to the mouth feel that people expect from a brown.
  • ceanntceannt
    The MO will give you more flavor also, as well as a bit more depth of character.
    I would be tempted to mash a little higher if you are after more mouth feel.... like maybe 154.
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • C_BC_B
    If for no other reason, I brew so I can use the term "mouth feel" in a sentence with a straight face.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenSBenS
    Just finished this brew day.
    OG - 1.056
    I ended up mashing around 151-152F.

I'm pretty glad my efficiency came back up from last brew. Pretty much proves to me that the poor efficiency I got last time was from the old grain.
  • BenSBenS
    So I thought I had a few more packets of US-05 to pitch into this wort, but apparently the only dry yeast I have left is T-58. Opinions? The LBHS doesn't open til thursday.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    not t58.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    @BenS, how about an update?
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B