Anyone use a Stainless Steel False Bottom for the Boil Kettle?
  • jlwjlw
    If so does it work well in filtering trub? Any problems associated with the false bottom?
  • ThymThym
    I do not, but if you were to do it, you will want to use whole leaf hops. You're basically merging a hop back into the brew kettle...
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

I do not, but if you were to do it, you will want to use whole leaf hops. You're basically merging a hop back into the brew kettle...

sort of, more like a hop filter.
    i have one and use it sometimes, basically, when i remember that it exists.
    they function really well because all the hops form a filter up against that screen and the wort can get through, but any other little thing gets hung up in the layer of hops.
    you do need whole leaf for this though, or continue to bag your pellet hops. it will still remove most of the gunk from the trub.
  • ceanntceannt
    Nope ... just an unaltered 10 gallon pot, stock (no pun intended)
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

Nope ... just an unaltered 10 gallon pot, stock (no pun intended)

Oh come on now! That's ridiculous, that pun was sooo intentional.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    :)
  • C_BC_B

Lakewood said:

they function really well because all the hops form a filter up against that screen and the wort can get through, but any other little thing gets hung up in the layer of hops.
    you do need whole leaf for this though, or continue to bag your pellet hops. it will still remove most of the gunk from the trub.

I have a false bottom now that I haven't used because the pickup is 3/8 line... But I can modify that... Will this idea still work with a small amount of leaf hops like would be in most of the malty beer I brew?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • LothosLothos
    I do in my mash ton and my boil pot (keggles) works awsome at keeping stuff out
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

I have a false bottom now that I haven't used because the pickup is 3/8 line... But I can modify that... Will this idea still work with a small amount of leaf hops like would be in most of the malty beer I brew?

depends on how small of an amount, really. to get a good filter going you need a couple ounces of leaf hops, so that wouldn't work for a malty beer probably, but it will still keep the hops from getting in stuff.
  • ceanntceannt
    I want a deal like a french press ... that fits my boil kettle .....
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ceannt said:

I want a deal like a french press ... that fits my boil kettle .....

that's a pretty sweet idea. you would need some springs, a little sheet metal, and a fine mesh.
    totally doable really