How to ferment a lager?
  • jlwjlw
    I pitched a 3L starter for my marzen at 54*. How long do I leave in primary and do I leave it at this temp? Since this is an Oktoberfest how long do I secondary and at what temp? And are there any other steps to lagering?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    keep it there for about two-three weeks, then bring it up to around 70 for three days (diacytel rest) then slowly bring it back to 54ish over the course of two-three days. leave it there for another few weeks, then toss it in a keg and keep it under 40F for as long as you can stand it.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw

keep it there for about two-three weeks, then bring it up to around 70 for three days (diacytel rest) then slowly bring it back to 54ish over the course of two-three days. leave it there for another few weeks, then toss it in a keg and keep it under 40F for as long as you can stand it.

I plan on not tapping until September for Oktoberfest.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I plan on not tapping until September for Oktoberfest.

that's a good plan. you need give it at least 6 weeks to lager, but the longer you let it go, the better.
  • jlwjlw
    One more question. Do you usually need a blow off setup with a lager?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

One more question. Do you usually need a blow off setup with a lager?

i never do, but it ferment in a bucket with at least 5 inches of head space. lagers tend to be less aggressive in the fermentation, due to the lowered temps.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    that said, better safe than sorry. a blow off won't hurt anything.
  • i always use a blow off tube when in primary. if i secondary or lager something, i'll switch over to a bubbler.
  • ThymThym

i always use a blow off tube when in primary. if i secondary or lager something, i'll switch over to a bubbler.

same here
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw

i always use a blow off tube when in primary. if i secondary or lager something, i'll switch over to a bubbler.

I have an airlock on the fermenter
  • jlwjlw
    @beerluvver thanks again for the advice.
  • scoobscoob
    I missed the boat on my lager, maybe I could roll one soon though. I really miss brewing!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    oh right, I have a lager chilling in the basement. I should bottle at some point.
    I just used an air lock on it, and with little head space, half what I give for ales. I don't know that I'd recommend that, or even do it again myself, but it worked out fine.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

oh right, I have a lager chilling in the basement. I should bottle at some point.
    I just used an air lock on it, and with little head space, half what I give for ales. I don't know that I'd recommend that, or even do it again myself, but it worked out fine.

slow and steady - that makes a good lager.

beerluvver
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

I hope so, because that's been clogging up my pipe line for a long time now.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

that's the only gripe i have with lagers... they are in-process forever.... of course we have a whole thread on patience being a virtue.... whatever.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

that's the only gripe i have with lagers... they are in-process forever.... of course we have a whole thread on patience being a virtue.... whatever.

One thing I can say for lagers is that it's easier to forget about them (and therefore age them proper like) because they aren't in your living room (unless you're a major cheapskate on your heat)
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

One thing I can say for lagers is that it's easier to forget about them (and therefore age them proper like) because they aren't in your living room (unless you're a major cheapskate on your heat)

even in winter my house couldn't be cold enough to lager.
  • jlwjlw
    @FromZwolle after the diacetyl rest is two weeks at 54* long enough before cold storage?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

@FromZwolle after the diacetyl rest is two weeks at 54* long enough before cold storage?

That should be fine. The longer the better, but two weeks is enough time for most gravities.