Do Decoction Mash's really make a big difference?
  • jlwjlw
    I am either brewing a Marzen this weekend or a stout. As I read about Marzen's the prevailing wisdom is to do a decoction mash. I've never done one and I'm not sure the exact benefits of the added time to the brew day.

Thoughts?
  • ceanntceannt
    I was sceptical about decoction mashes..... with modern fully modified malts, it shouldn't make any difference..... but it does. No need to do a full blown triple decoction though..... just do a single decoction to mash out. You are "supposed" to pull a thin decoction for this.... I pull a thick one. For a Marzen, a 20-min. boil is plenty good. Let it rest for at least half an hour after you add it back in to the main mash. Sparge like you normally would. The calculations are a little weird, but fun. I built 'em in to my homebrewed beer calculator.... if you want I can send it to you. (I think I uploaded it on here someplace.... oh, with my AltBier recipe...)
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i agree with ceannt, it really does make a big difference in flavor. you don't need the full on triple decoction, but you still gotta boil some grains to get that melanoideny flavor.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    This is something I've been wanting to try out for a while. I think its worth experimenting with.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

This is something I've been wanting to try out for a while. I think its worth experimenting with.

And as a novice brewer i like it laid out with a proven recipe and good enough instructions that don't leave much to my imagination.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants