Simple copper dip tube for a keggle
  • C_BC_B
    I had a false bottom/ dip tube combo when I bought these keggles. Setting the IC in would mess up the compression joint so I wouldn't get a siphon, leaving 2+ gallons in the bottom that I would have to then dump (not a sanitary move) into the bucket. Plus pellet hops would plug the dip tube because it was tiny. So here is my simple fix.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Hard to see, but that is a 45 elbow with a piece just long enough that it is actually setting on the bottom. So when I put in the IC it will not be able to deflect any joints.
    IMAG0365.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 499K
  • C_BC_B
    From the outside. I figure I can screw on and off this portion. That way I can clean and sanitize it separately and it won't get in the way while moving/storing/cleaning the keggle. I should also get some pretty good areation from this. The bottom of that is roughly the hight of the top of a tall Ale Pail.
    IMAG0364.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 823K
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i like shiny.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    I'm excited. Now if my chiller fix works I'll be set. But I'm going to start designing a Lakewood inspired counter flow chiller.
  • ThymThym
    Having it pickup from that location will end up sucking up most of the trub from the kettle. Its better to go 90deg down at that elbow and trim the tube at an angle to match the kettle bottom. You wont leave much actual wort behind, but you will leave most of the break and hop materials.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Yeah I've always been a throw it all in the bucket and let God sort it out kind of guy. But I suppose there cant be much dead space at the bottom from what I've done and what you're suggesting. Maybe I'll change it sometime.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Yeah I've always been a throw it all in the bucket and let God sort it out kind of guy. But I suppose there cant be much dead space at the bottom from what I've done and what you're suggesting. Maybe I'll change it sometime.

i'd add a filtery type of deal if you're using whole hops and not bagging. like a copper scrubby or a bit of steel mesh. other than that, i'm a dump it all into the bucket guy myself.

i've whirl-pooled, siphoned, dumped, and a few in between and there isn't a discernible difference in the finished beer.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    I haven't done the whole hops thing yet. But I anticipate this being and issue at that point.
  • C_BC_B
    ARG.

Well the wet run when I was cleaning the keggle was a resounding failure. I thought that maybe the output was too close in height to the input, thus hampering a full siphon. Then I noticed it sucking bubbles at the bottom of the bulkhead weld on the inside. How does this happen? Must have been a two pieces welded together to make one solid bulkhead.
    In my haste I grabbed my second keggle (I only use one currently as I don't have a rig or a second burner) and tried just putting the dip tubes in that and going. Well of course the bulkhead in that one is a little lower so the inlet wouldn't fit. So I reworked both sides to get the pick up out next to the wall so I can whirlpool (manually), and get the output coming directly out of the valve and heading down on a 45* angle. That seemed appropriate...
    Then put it all back together. Now it works like a champ and I'm not sure if it was the weld or possibly I didn't have the pickup threaded in tight enough. Either way I'm a little cranky and kind of tired. I'll post some new pics tomorrow.

I don't like the idea of having to thread and unthread the output every time I brew. I need a sanitary clamp fitting there....
  • C_BC_B
    Oh yeah, and the pickup at the side leave a nearly a half gallon in the bottom. I'm not really ok with that so now I'm going to rework it again to take the dip tube back to the center... That is really the icing on the cake.
  • C_BC_B
    The new output.
    IMAG0401.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 693K
  • C_BC_B
    Don't mind my dogs fighting in the background...
  • C_BC_B
    The new inlet.
    IMAG0402.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 484K
  • C_BC_B
    As it turns out, with the keggle tilted slightly there is only about a quart of deadspace. That is a little more workable.
  • ThymThym

As it turns out, with the keggle tilted slightly there is only about a quart of deadspace. That is a little more workable.

You should have more than a quart worth of crap you dont need in the fermenter at the end of the boil...
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    The whirlpool thing doesn't work so well with an immersion chiller.....