Smoked Carrot Bisque
  • scoobscoob
    I gangstered this from the other forum, they robbed it from allrecipes.com.
    Ever had a really meaty meatless dish before? this is fan-fricken-tastic! I mix it up a bit, I roast a whole head of garlic in the oven instead of using chopped garlic, I also toss a few jalapenos in the smoker along with the carrots before chopping it up and adding to the rest of the ingredients.

Ingredient list:

* 5 pounds carrots, peeled and trimmed
    * mesquite or hickory wood chips, as needed for smoker
    * 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 2 onions, chopped
    * 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    * 4 cloves garlic, chopped
    * 2 stalks celery, chopped
    * 4 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
    * 2 teaspoons curry powder
    * 5 quarts vegetable stock
    * 1/4 cup butter
    * 2 cups cream
    * salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Place whole, peeled carrots onto smoker rack. Smoke 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
    2. Heat vegetable oil in a 1 1/2 to 2 gallon soup pot over medium heat. Stir in onions, jalapeno pepper, and garlic, cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Chop carrots, and add to onions along with celery; continue cooking another 5 to 10 minutes until the celery softens.
    3. Stir in turmeric and curry powder until evenly distributed; pour in vegetable stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
    4. Strain the vegetables out of the soup and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour the puree back into the soup, and continue simmering 30 minutes more.
    5. Whisk butter into soup until melted, then stir in cream, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain soup through a fine mesh strainer before serving.

I don't usually bother with the strainer, it is nice for presentation, but I prefer some texture in my soups.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    for step 4, wouldn't an immersion blender achieve the same result without having to strain anything?
    i'm all about lazy and i love my immersion blender.
  • scoobscoob
    I used to have an immersion blender, it died after a good many years, I really need to get another boat motor.

An immersion blender would work great with this, or any blended soup, I used to use mine for split pea soup, broccoli or cauliflower cheese soup, potato leek soup, etc.
    Jesus didn't wear pants