Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Is growing hops difficult?
  • LothosLothos
    that reminds me i need to set up my trellis this weekend and get them strung up there crawling on the ground allready
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ceanntceannt
    I need to get some twine up......
    Cascades haven't sprouted yet, but the Willamettes are getting close to needing support
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • JerryJerry
    oh yeah, that's on my to do list. I need to cut down some young pines for poles. I just recounted and it's 24 plants if everything comes up (many first years in there)
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • C_BC_B
    To answer the title of the thread. Apparently it is difficult. Of the four rhizomes I planted exactly zero are doing anything, or at least anything above ground. One is probably getting shaded out too much. The other three have no excuse except to smite me. I suspect this to be the reason.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JerryJerry
    how deep did you pant them?

Thym
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym

how deep did you pant them?

4' down
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B

how deep did you plant them?

Fixed. And just deep enough to cover them with soil. But the rain off the roof may have partially uncovered two of them. Not bad, just exposed the to 1/2 inch or so.
  • ThymThym
    Mine shot up a few feet really fast. Then stopped. They haven't grown an inch in 3 weeks.
  • JerryJerry

Fixed. And just deep enough to cover them with soil. But the rain off the roof may have partially uncovered two of them. Not bad, just exposed the to 1/2 inch or so.

deeper may have been better. You might want to lay a few inches of soil on top of them if you haven't already.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry
    Lakewood said:

Mine shot up a few feet really fast. Then stopped. They haven't grown an inch in 3 weeks.

Must be those growth regulators I sprayed on them before sending them out

My biggest plant is at about 10feet now. Some leaves are bigger than my hand (pencil like, but long).
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • C_BC_B

deeper may have been better. You might want to lay a few inches of soil on top of them if you haven't already.

I did a little, but i may add some more.
  • C_BC_B
    I added some soil and watered. We'll see.
  • JerryJerry

Don't drown them. The biggest advantage to having them deeper is that the soil moisture doesn't change so much down there; making watering a very rare thing.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • C_BC_B

Don't drown them. The biggest advantage to having them deeper is that the soil moisture doesn't change so much down there; making watering a very rare thing.

Maybe this was the problem. Crossing my fingers.
  • JerryJerry
    Just forget about them for a few week. The'll be fine (well maybe water them once if you don't get any rain). Don't pet your puppy to death.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I planted four rhizomes, two sprouted to about 2", then died back, the other two never came up. I am a plant guy, I have never had such poor success planting anything. These damn things must have been DOA.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

I planted four rhizomes, two sprouted to about 2", then died back, the other two never came up. I am a plant guy, I have never had such poor success planting anything. These damn things must have been DOA.

What the hell. Hops, the impossible plant.

I think its one of those plants where once it takes off its impossible to get rid of but its finicky at first... either that or its just impossible.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm just going to keep watering occasionally and hope for the best.
  • JerryJerry
    you're doing it wrong. Plant them and walk away. They take care of themselves for the most part.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post