Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Is growing hops difficult?
  • jlwjlw

Cascade, Centinnial and Nugget. If I have room for four I'll slide in Columbus. This should give me something for everything. Cool.

I should do this. I keep saying I am going to start growing and never get around to it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I have room for three for sure. Maybe four but I doubt it. Nugget is a decent bittering hop for stouts, right?

nugget is a great bittering for stouts, pale ales, ipas, ect.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • C_BC_B
    Cascade, Centennial, Columbus and Nugget.

ORDERED.

Done.

The purchase has been made.

The football has been handed off.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Dont fumble
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Dont fumble

So. Much. Pressure.
  • C_BC_B
    Received, YAY!
  • C_BC_B
    Going to plant this weekend. Super excited.
  • ThymThym
    Did you get in on the members only rhizome exchange?
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

No. I ordered from AHS a couple days before the members only exchange came up.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

No. I ordered from AHS a couple days before the members only exchange came up.

hope yours grow like crazy.
  • C_BC_B
    Just now got 'em planted. Hopefully they are still alive...
  • FuzzyFuzzy

they should be fine. hardy little suckers.

if you have rhizomes and don't have the time to plant, throw em in the fridge until you do. it puts them to sleep.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ThymThym
    yeah, very hardy, unless you water them with chloronated spa water they should be cool.
  • C_BC_B

they should be fine. hardy little suckers.

if you have rhizomes and don't have the time to plant, throw em in the fridge until you do. it puts them to sleep.

That's what i did. Whew.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

yeah, very hardy, unless you water them with chloronated spa water they should be cool.

Why does that sound like the voice of experience????
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    I want to put a rainbarrel in.... just to water the hops and such..... If I could only figure out a way to do it without running the risk of everybody thinking I was a reformed hippie......
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    all I need is a copy of Mother Earth News sitting on my porch......

Jerry
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

I want to put a rainbarrel in.... just to water the hops and such..... If I could only figure out a way to do it without running the risk of everybody thinking I was a reformed hippie......

I've been thinking about putting a rain barrel to drain my shed. I've though maybe I could water the garden. I'm not sure about using roof drained water for vegetables though.
  • JerryJerry
    ceannt said:

that's quite the pickle. maybe if you use a trash can people won't know it's for rain. Or put a sticker on it that says "Rendered Whale Oil, product of Japan" Even if it is a rain barrel what hippie would have that around?
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

I've been thinking about putting a rain barrel to drain my shed. I've though maybe I could water the garden. I'm not sure about using roof drained water for vegetables though.

I'm planning on using roof drained water for my veggies this year (if it ever rains). The way I see it; it's an old roof, so most things that will leach out have already, and it's better than chlorinated city water.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

that's quite the pickle. maybe if you use a trash can people won't know it's for rain. Or put a sticker on it that says "Rendered Whale Oil, product of Japan" Even if it is a rain barrel what hippie would have that around?

Hah... I was thinking a "possum, it's what's for dinner " bumper sticker
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

Don't worry about it, much worse stuff is coming down with the rain before it hits your roof if you live in an urban environment. It is a great way to reduce the use of clean drinking water, mitigate stormwater runoff and save a little cash. People have been doing this for centuries before we decided it was a novel idea.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

People have been doing this for centuries before we decided it was a novel idea.

most of those people didn't have tar shingles though!
    but really, roof water is generally fine, and rainwater has craploads of nitrogen in it, so it is great to not let it go to waste.

and ceannt.....just run the gutter into some old, rusted out chevy and nobody will think twice about it. no problemo.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    all naturale pine tar, at least that is what you should think about when you are eating your petroleum ridden lettuce.
  • JerryJerry

and ceannt.....just run the gutter into some old, rusted out chevy and nobody will think twice about it. no problemo.

Chevy runs deep.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post