I think it is time to upgrade to bigger batches
  • jlwjlw
    I need to get in touch with the local breweries to see if I can buy used kegs. I like what @Lothos is doing spitting the batch and pitching different yeasts.

I guess I would also have to figure out how to do bigger mashes.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I need to get in toush with the local breweries to see if I can buy used kegs. I like what @Lothos is doing spitting the batch and pitching different yeasts.

coleman extreme. i have one that i plan on converting into a mash tun when i can find a keg or a 15 gallon stock pot for cheap.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • BenSBenS
    jlw said:

I need to get in toush with the local breweries to see if I can buy used kegs. I like what @Lothos is doing spitting the batch and pitching different yeasts.

I have a converted keg I use as a mash turn. Wrapped with duct insulation, it holds temps well. The whole project only cost me about $20 not including the cost of the keg.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

This is how i acquired my kegs. It took several phone calls with people who mostly said "no, i dont think so, but you can ask my boss". Eventually I got to the right guy and he says go pick up whatever you want. Just make sure you are clean in stating that you are a home brewer looking for 'NFS' Non Functioning (keg) Shells to make a home brewing system.

Also, you need to look for breweries in sort of the sweet spot size wise - Really small places probably lease all of their kegs (call them anyway), Big breweries may had to much bureaucracy to allow for common sense and decency to get in the way.

I picked mine up from a Brew-pub / restaurant chain.

Good luck!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny