Force Carbonating Question
  • ThymThym
    This discussion was created from comments split from: TKT - No Holds Barred.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver
    I'm trying to decide where exactly I fall on high pressure forced carbonation vs. low and slow.
  • ThymThym
    TomoLiver said:

I'm trying to decide where exactly I fall on high pressure forced carbonation vs. low and slow.

doesn't really make much difference. In the end it still takes almost a week for the flavor profile to stabilize.

If you don't care about getting the right flavor out of the first pour, and just want fizzy, you can high pressure for 24 hours and rock the taps tomorrow.
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver
    What do you consider high pressure for the 24 hour timeline?
  • ThymThym
    TomoLiver said:

What do you consider high pressure for the 24 hour timeline?

i would hit it with about 26-30 psi
  • ThymThym
    in about 24 hrs it should be back down to about serving pressure. Make sure you force it in through the liquid out and give it a couple of good shakes while the gas liune is attached, otherwise that little bit of c02 in the head space will absorb and drop to atmospheric pressure in an hour and nothing will be fizzy.
  • ThymThym
    or you can leave it connected, gas on connected to the liquid out port at about 20psi overnight. while it chills. that should do it
  • ThymThym
    in the morning, drop the pressure to serving pressure. by the evening you should have fizzy beer.
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver
    Cool. I think for now I'm gonna let them cold condition for the week or so at 10psi.
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver
    If/When the IBA kicks, I'll look into rushing carbonation of the other two.

Until then, I can wait.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    usually i just put it on the gas in port like normal, set it at 20 psi and leave it. 18 hours and i am good to go. most of my beers aren't rushed though, they get good times in a "bright tank" (sitting in the keg, waiting for an open tap) and are properly aged. even the hop monsters need time to let the carbonic acids marry to the hops properly. common myth is that hoppy beers need to be drank very young. this is true for a brewery, but those beers have had proper time in the real bright tanks, they are not 3-4 weeks from grain to glass.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm with Fry on this one. I (most generally) have more kegs handy than taps. I use http://ebrew.com/primarynews/ct_carbonation_chart.htm or http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php to set my regulator based on how hot cold it is in my conditioning basement. I'll leave it on the gas at like that for a couple weeks or until I tap.
    I forced a hefe once. I had it on gas and made the first pour three weeks from brewing. The bite kicked me in the face. After two weeks of settling down on gas and in the kegerator it became quite good.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants