Should I add campden to mead prior to bottling?
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Planning to get off my lazy ass and bottle my Blackberry melomel this weekend. It's been aged for over a year and sitting on oak for a couple months now.

Should I sulfite this prior to bottling?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i would probably hit it with a little campden. how much depends on lots of things, but basically if your tablets are 50ppm strength, i would crush and put in 7 at racking time.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    What if you add none? Or, if you added none? Am I Screwed?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    nah, it'll be fine, just drink it all in the next 3 years.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Not a problem.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    What about potassium metabisulfite?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

does not compute.
    watch you talkin bout?
    potassium metabisulfite = campden
  • C_BC_B

Benvarine said:

does not compute.
    watch you talkin bout?
    potassium metabisulfite = campden

See. There you go. Something I didn't know. And apparently something Ben didn't know.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    What's the apv?
    Did you Camden the fruit before you put it in?
    If its been hanging out a year without any sign of infection .... might just bottle without it ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    some people also call sodium metabisulfite campden, but they're idiots.

few people use the sodium anymore since it takes a larger amount and we all have enough salt in our bodies while nearly everyone needs more potassium. not that either adds that much to your diet unless you drink a ton.....
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I thought Camden was the sodium. I didn't know there were both. When do you add, at bottling or a few days before?
  • C_BC_B

few people use the sodium anymore since it takes a larger amount and we all have enough salt in our bodies while nearly everyone needs more potassium. not that either adds that much to your diet unless you drink a ton.....

Yeah.... I'm going to need you to define "drink a ton".
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    the glory of drinking a sodium laden beverage is that part of what lowers your salt levels is taking lots of leaks.

win!

and benvarine, hit it with campden at bottling, usually also a day before you pitch your yeast when making wine. with many commercial grocery store juices and honey and stuff, you can skip the sulfur pre ferment, but add more when you bottle to make up.

once you sulfur, just don't drink any for a few days, unless you like asthma attacks.
  • C_BC_B

Mmk. @Frydogbrews I just bought a pack of Campden tabs that are Sodium Metabisulfite. So this is mislabeled?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    No, they are both techincally "campden tablets". Use them, but next time buy the potassium variety.