Habanero Brown Ale - Need Advice
  • jlwjlw
    The main question is when to add the peppers? Mash, boil, or secondary? I've never made one and don't to mess it up. I more want the flavor and aroma versus the heat from the peppers. This will likely be my base recipe.

Boil Size: 7.19 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
    Estimated Color: 43.7 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 51.2 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 82.4 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.6 %
    12.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
    9.6 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
    8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
    4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %
    5.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 6 2.5 %
    1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 42.9 IBUs
    0.75 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 8.3 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 6.6 oz
    ----------------------------
    Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
    Mash In Add 16.13 qt of water at 162.9 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.14gal, 3.72gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:

I added the molasses the last 5 minutes of the boil.
  • ceanntceannt
    Cut them in half, remove all the seeds. Roast at 350 until they start to turn black on the edges. Add to the boil for the last 15 minutes.
    You can also soak some roasted peppers in vodka, or tequila for a couple of weeks, and pour the liquid into secondary a week before bottling /kegging
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    So updated. The beer I'm supposed to craft is a Mango Habanero Brown. Thoughts on using fruit? I'm thinking maybe in secondary? Also, how much mango and how many peppers?
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

So updated. The beer I'm supposed to craft is a Mango Habanero Brown. Thoughts on using fruit? I'm thinking maybe in secondary? Also, how much mango and how many peppers?

The mango should go in secondary. Freeze it, let it thaw, and then puree
  • ceanntceannt
    The amounts are tricky... how big of a batch?
    For 5 gallons... maybe 3 peppers, and 2 mangoes? Depends on how much you want them to "contribute "
  • ceanntceannt
    ceannt said:

jlw said:

"Secondary " in this case means immediately after the fermentation slows down, so the aroma don't all go out the air lock
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

jlw said:

"Secondary " in this case means immediately after the fermentation slows down, so the aroma don't all go out the air lock

So really you're saying in primary once fermentation slows. I'll likely secondary it just to let it age a bit and settle out.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

jlw said:

So really you're saying in primary once fermentation slows. I'll likely secondary it just to let it age a bit and settle out.

Or just go with a long primary... up to 7 or 8 weeks.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Add them at 5 min to flame out. Capsaicin acts somewhere in between alpha acids and essential oils. You need to boil it to get it out, but boil too long; it'll boil out.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Jerry said:

Add them at 5 min to flame out. Capsaicin acts somewhere in between alpha acids and essential oils. You need to boil it to get it out, but boil too long; it'll boil out.

jlw said:

I more want the flavor and aroma versus the heat from the peppers.

learn to read, dummy.

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i've only done one pepper beer and i 'dry hopped' with dried chiles. it wasn't awesome, but it made a great marinade for chicken.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Fuzzy said:

Jerry said:

jlw said:

I more want the flavor and aroma versus the heat from the peppers.

learn to read, dummy.

No, you're wrong
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio