Brewing Software
  • jlwjlw
    My lap top crashed a long time ago and I finally bought a new one. My brewing software was lost with the death the of the lap top. I've used beersmith essentially since I started brewing. As of right now I am likely going to go back to that program.

Before I do I thought I would ask around to see if there are other options? What's your recommendation for me?
  • ThymThym
    I played with a lot of them in the past, but found it was easier to just use my excel spreadsheet. It was just simpler. I thought about writing an actual piece of software based on the algorithms and views in the spreadsheet but I didn't think it would make my life easier really.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah, all I ever use is my spreadsheet.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Brewtoad. But they changed and now they suck. so I recommend Lake and Kenny's spreadsheets...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Brewtoad. But they changed and now they suck. so I recommend Lake and Kenny's spreadsheets...

brewtoad always sucked. it was pretty good when it was hopville/beer calculus, but those days are gone.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

brewtoad always sucked. it was pretty good when it was hopville/beer calculus, but those days are gone.

Right. I forgot the name changed too when it started sucking.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i've also tried Q-brew and didn't much like it. brewtarget seemed like it was pretty good, but i only used it a few times. from what i've read it's similar to beersmith.
  • jlwjlw
    Beersmith has always worked fine for me. Maybe I don't know enough to know it sucks?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

Beersmith has always worked fine for me. Maybe I don't know enough to know it sucks?

most people seem to like it, i'm just too cheap to spend money on programs.
  • ThymThym
    Yeah, I didn't really mean to imply beersmith sucks. I just found the spreadsheet easier.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I've brewed enough/don't care enough that I don't do calculations any more.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

jlw said:

most people seem to like it, i'm just too cheap to spend money on programs.

Also this.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • BenSBenS
    I also have my own software. And unlike lake, actually use it on a regular basis. I have some built in macros for style and ingredients as well. I can email it to you if you like.

C_B
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly