Dry Stout build thread
  • C_BC_B
    It's time again for the "help CB put together a recipe" hour.
    Here's the next one.
    I feel like I've added too much roasted grains, exactly what I don't want. Plus I'm thinking I want a little lower OG.... maybe the upper 50s?
    Probably mash pretty low. Like 150. The 002 will leave it a bit dirty anyhow. Keep the temp well under control around 67 with an over pitch and I should still get decent attenuation out of it. Plus I really like 002.
    I don't want much hop presents here. Just a smooth not too dry, dry stout.
    I don't know.... Gimme your thoughts.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    And I've talked myself into dropping the roasted a bit. So NOW look at it.
  • ceanntceannt
    How much roasted character do you want?
    If you want to smooth it out... i.e. not so much... sub out some of the roasted for carafa III
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    I always end up with way too much roasted character in my stouts.... like drinking burnt cold coffee... I like it like that, but others make faces when they drink it...
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

I always end up with way too much roasted character in my stouts.... like drinking burnt cold coffee... I like it like that, but others make faces when they drink it...

I like it like that also. But not this time. I want a smooth, easy drinker. Like Guinness but with more actual flavor.

You told me about the carafa III somewhere else I think.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    agree with kenny. use the carafa. i also like to use a bit of unmalted wheat/barley for that smoother mouthfeel. but if you're going for crisp and dry, then don't.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah .... but watch it .... the astringent quality of roasted malts will be even more apparent in a crisp dry version
  • C_BC_B
    NAME AMOUNT % USE PPG
    Pale Malt 6.0 lb 30 % Mash 37
    Maris Otter 4.0 lb 20 % Mash 36
    Wheat Malt 3.0 lb 15 % Mash 36
    Roasted Barley 12.0 oz 3 % Mash 30
    CARAFA® III 12.0 oz 3 % Mash 32
    Crystal 60 8.0 oz 2 % Mash 32
    Golden Lt DME 5.0 lb 25 % Boil 43

At 3% of the grain bill the roasted should be fine now? Actually, that's 3% of the malt bill.... but still the point remains.
  • C_BC_B
    Wow. The formatting in that sucks....

I don't think this is shaping up to be too crisp and dry. More so than say a big dirty malty chocolate stout mashed at 156. But the MO, wheat and WLP002 should leave some fun behind. Right?
  • ceanntceannt
    Looks tasty to me
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Wow. The formatting in that sucks....

I don't think this is shaping up to be too crisp and dry. More so than say a big dirty malty chocolate stout mashed at 156. But the MO, wheat and WLP002 should leave some fun behind. Right?

malted wheat? no, not really. it tends to lighten the body up a bit. unmalted, yes. that leaves a creamy/smooth character to the mouthfeel.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    but the other stuff, yeah. wouldn't hurt anything to add some toasted oats either.
  • C_BC_B

but the other stuff, yeah. wouldn't hurt anything to add some toasted oats either.

I was thinking about a pound of oats in place of a pound of wheat. How toasted and what does the toasting do to the flavor?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Okay dry stout...002 is awesome but nothing dry about it. If you want to use this yeast cut the crystal back or do a second pitch of something to clean up. I'd just go with less ,but darker, crystal.
    What's with the pale? Just use all MO.
    What is with the DME? Just use all MO.

Oats are good. Never tried toasting, you should, can't see anything going all that wrong.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

Okay dry stout...002 is awesome but nothing dry about it. If you want to use this yeast cut the crystal back or do a second pitch of something to clean up. I'd just go with less ,but darker, crystal.
    What's with the pale? Just use all MO.
    What is with the DME? Just use all MO.

Oats are good. Never tried toasting, you should, can't see anything going all that wrong.

I wanted a dry stout to start with. But I think what I want is a middle of the road stout.
    Pale to dry it out a bit more than all MO.
    DME because I want 10 gallons but have a 5 gallon MLT.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    All MO, one third the crystal but use darker that 60L.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

If you want to use this yeast cut the crystal back or do a second pitch of something to clean up. I'd just go with less ,but darker, crystal.

it's a 1/2 # in 10 gallons. not gonna be an issue.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

I was thinking about a pound of oats in place of a pound of wheat. How toasted and what does the toasting do to the flavor?

in between golden and peanut butter color. the toasting just brings out a hint of nuttiness. it'll be hard to pick out in a stout, but it adds a nice dimension.
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

in between golden and peanut butter color. the toasting just brings out a hint of nuttiness. it'll be hard to pick out in a stout, but it adds a nice dimension.

Sounds nice. Ima try this.