Pensacola Bay Riptide
  • C_BC_B
    They call it an amber, but I don't know. I'm hoping some of you have had this and can comment.
    40IBU, 6.4% abv

Appearance: Very nice red color. Surprising really.

Aroma: Malty. Little to no hop aroma.

Taste: Malty at first. Then comes the problem. I tasted a buttery Worther's Original butter popcorn thing. At first I thought it was a stick of butter. Then I was back to maybe just too much caramel malt. By the end I was back to buttered popcorn. I've never tasted that in a beer before and hope it was accidental.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, with a little slickness that I couldn't put my finger on. Maybe the butter.

Overall: I couldn't have finished a second one if it was free. That single flavor dominated the entire beer and ruined it for me. I think the rest of the beer would be nice without that.
    IMAG0961.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 560K
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    I really think this is a bad batch or something. No way this is what the brewery was shooting for. Maybe a dirty tap line or an old old old keg? It's a limited release so maybe it was the last of it and sitting around a while. I really don't know.
  • ceanntceannt
    Never had it ... but you are probably right about it being a bad batch ....

Butter =Bad
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    I like the color though ... looks like my AltBier
  • ThymThym
    generally speaking buttery == diacetyl

and can be caused by rushed beer with an insufficient pitch rate. This is classically the result of a brewery operating over capacity and/or cutting corners by underpitching

you might want to say something if they pour you butter swill again.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    and print this out and give it to them with a little note on the back that says "ps. you suck"

http://www.whitelabs.com/files/Diacetyl_Time_Line.pdf

here's the summary excerpt

"In summary, diacetyl is formed by both yeast and bacteria. If a brewer can eliminate bacterial
    contamination, diacetyl levels can be controlled by choosing a particular yeast strain and by fermentation
    conditions. Fermentation parameters that effect diacetyl levels are temperature and aeration. High fermentation temperatures promote diacetyl production, and low aeration levels when yeast is pitched will
    produce less healthy yeast, which are prone to higher diacetyl production. Ale fermentations will produce
    more diacetyl because they are fermented warmer than lagers, but the reduction will happen much quicker.
    Lager fermentations need to be given a "diacetyl rest" by increasing the fermentation temperature just
    before completing fermentation. A hydrometer should be used to measure the specific gravity to calculate
    when to start the diacetyl rest. The fermentation should never be rushed. Give the beer ample time for
    maturation, sanitize well, and make great beer! "
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

and can be caused by rushed beer with an insufficient pitch rate. This is classically the result of a brewery operating over capacity and/or cutting corners by underpitching

yeah... this

(I was going to say pretty much the same thing, but couldn't spell diacetyl and gave up)
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

I just didn't trust my tastes enough to say that's what I was tasting. I didn't want to go all beer snob up in there without be positive about the offense.
  • C_BC_B
    Now I'm pretty sure.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

I just didn't trust my tastes enough to say that's what I was tasting. I didn't want to go all beer snob up in there without be positive about the offense.

Meh. If it doesn't taste right, it's not. There's no reason to second guess that. Even if they 'intended' that buttery taste you have every right to tell them that is the work of clowns.

This applies equally to any off flavor you pick up in a beer. You should never feel you have to drink a beer that you don't like. If they served you a plate of food that was nasty, you'd send it back.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

Meh. If it doesn't taste right, it's not. There's no reason to second guess that. Even if they 'intended' that buttery taste you have every right to tell them that is the work of clowns.

This applies equally to any off flavor you pick up in a beer. You should never feel you have to drink a beer that you don't like. If they served you a plate of food that was nasty, you'd send it back.

this.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yep. I have sent back both wine and beer in bars and restaurants because of grossness.

I'm polite about it though, unlike some of the dicks i have seen act like it's the bartenders fault.
  • ThymThym

yep. I have sent back both wine and beer in bars and restaurants because of grossness.

I'm polite about it though, unlike some of the dicks i have seen act like it's the bartenders fault.

Well, you're just a sweetie, aren't you.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

he's just trying not to burn bridges.... so he can hit on the bartender later....
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

he's just trying not to burn bridges.... so he can hit on the bartender later....

Yeah, Frank is a real catch.