Slow cooked Black Beans
  • ceanntceannt

This is a "quick and dirty" version of a recipie I got from a small Mexican eatery in Niles California back in the late '70s.

1-large can black beans
    1-small can diced tomatoes
    1-small can whole kernel corn
    2-small cans green chilies
    1-smallish sweet yellow onion diced
    3-garlic cloves crushed and minced
    ½ bell pepper diced
    1 dried large chipotle pepper chopped coarse
    Black pepper (about a tablespoon)
    White pepper (about a tablespoon)
    Cumin (about a tablespoon)
    Cayenne (about a teaspoon and a half)
    Dried cilantro (about a tablespoon or two)
    Dried parsley (about a tablespoon)
    Worcestershire sauce (just about 2-tablespoons)
    About half a bottle beer (Brown Ale is best, but anything malty)

Throw all ingredients into a crock pot, being very liberal with spices, and cook on high for around 3 ½ to 4 hours, stirring well every half hour or so. Taste after about 2-hours and add more spices as needed to taste. If needed, add more beer, don’t add too much, it should not be soup.

Note: I never measure spices, just throw them in, so the measurements are a wild guess, use your judgment.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym
    Worchestershire sauce is probably the secret ingredient. Most people have it in the fridge but never know when to use it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

Worchestershire sauce is probably the secret ingredient. Most people have it in the fridge but never know when to use it.

i love worshy sauce! but i don't keep it in the fridge
  • scoobscoob
    I put shitter sauce on everything! I think Im going to try this one. looks simple enough to be fan-frickin-tastic!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    So, for the first time I actually measured stuff..... I made this at work for a "covered dish" lunch deal..... If you try this.... cut the dried cilantro down to 1/2 tablespoon.
    It was good, everybody raved about it, but could stand to dial down the cilantro.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym
    Cilantro is a potent herb. I love the flavor but it can overpower stuff quick.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny